2021 Pilot Funds for Pediatric Trauma Research
The Pediatric Trauma Society is pleased to announce the availability of pilot funds to promote basic, translational, or clinical investigation by PTS members. The program is intended to support early-stage investigators at the assistant or associate professor level in the generation data supporting future applications for extramural funding.
One award of up to $5,000 will be given. The award is limited to one year of funding and is not renewable. Funds cannot be used for salary support of the PI(s) or for travel. No indirect costs will be supported.
The principal investigator must be an active member of the PTS and hold an academic appointment at the assistant or associate professor level. Only one proposal per principal investigator may be submitted. Members of the Review Committee are not eligible to apply for or receive funds.
Research Committee Chair and 2 Research Committee members, and the President and Past-President, Past President serves as chair
The application will include:
A cover letter is required that include the following information:
- Title, Background/Significance, Specific Aim(s), Approach/Research Strategy, Timeline for completion (3 pages maximum)
- References (1 page total)
- Budget: itemized by personnel, equipment, consumables (subgroup into major categories), and other Expenses (list individually) (1 page total)
- Biosketches: NIH-style biosketch for each investigator, including current and pending support (5 pages maximum per investigator)
- The application should be formatted on 8.5x11” paper, 1” margins, and 11 pt Arial or larger font.
- Brief overview of the proposal
- Planned agency/mechanism for extramural support that will be applied for using data generated in thie proposal
- Documentation of institutional approval (or application) for proposed human or animal studies.
Any questions about the grant (eligibility, formatting, etc.) should be directed to PTS.
- Applications (in the form of a single PDF document) will be due at 5:00 pm CDT June 1, 2021. No exceptions will be made.
- The grant recipient will be announced at the Pediatric Trauma Society Annual Meeting in November 2021.
- Studies involving human or animal subjects must have documented approval (IRB, IACUC, etc.) prior to the start of the funding period and issuance of funds.
- The funding start date will be December 1, 2021.
- The grant recipient will provide a written Progress Report two months after the end of the funding period. This report must include: a two page summary of the results of the study, a list of abstracts/presentations/manuscripts supported by this funding, a plan for submission of extramural grant applications based on the study findings and a planned timeline for submission, and a summary budget report. The support of the Pediatric Trauma Society should be acknowledged on all presentations and publications related to the proposal.
- Grant recipients will be expected to present their work to the PTS membership at the 2022 Annual Meeting.
Applications should be submitted by 5:00 pm CDT June 1, 2021.