Guidelines Committee | Email Committee
Pediatric Blunt Solid Organ Injury Guidelines:
A joint Pediatric Trauma Society (PTS) and
Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST)
The PTS Guidelines HUB, created by volunteer members of the Pediatric Trauma Society is a new, one stop shop for a quick reference to Pediatric Trauma Guidelines. Our members have reviewed up to date pertinent guidelines and made summaries, visual abstract, podcasts and other material for your use!
Solid Organ Injury Guideline
John K. Petty, MD
Brenner Children's Hospital, Winston-Salem, NC
Pancreas Guideline Update
Bindi Naik-Mathuria, MD (PTS)
Texas Children's Hospital, Houston, TX
TEG Based Reversal of Coagulopathy and the TXA Controversy
A. Britton Christmas, MD, FACS (EAST)
Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
Blunt Cerebrovascular Injury
Rachael A. Callcut, MD, MSPH, FACS (EAST)
University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
The Guidelines Committee is responsible for developing and disseminating evidence-based information related to pediatric trauma care for the purpose of increasing the scientific knowledge needed to enhance patient care and promote optimal clinical decision-making. Goals of the committee include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops pediatric specific evidence-based guidelines or consensus statement
- Reviews specific evidence-based guidelines for relevance to the pediatric population
- Updates existing evidence-based guidelines based on new clinical information
- Disseminates evidence-based guidelines used by other institutions/organizations
Committee Goals: to develop and disseminate evidence-based information related to pediatric trauma care in order to improve health outcomes.
Three working groups
- Child Abuse/Non-Accidental Trauma Screening Guidelines (LEAD: Tony Escobar)
- Trauma Transfer Criteria from Community Hospitals to Level One Trauma Centers (LEAD: Matthew Santore)
- Severe Hemorrhage - Massive Transfusion/Coagulopathy Treatment Guideline (LEAD: Adam Vogel)
Guidelines in Focus: work to identify guidelines developed by other organizations and share/contextualize for pediatric trauma providers.
Sharing of local clinical pathways/best practices.
- Child physical abuse trauma evaluation and management: A Western Trauma Association and Pediatric Trauma Society critical decisions algorithm
Nelson G. Rosen, MD, Mauricio A. Escobar, Jr., MD, Carlos V. Brown, MD, Ernest E. Moore, MD, Jack A. Sava, MD, Kimberly Peck, MD, David J. Ciesla, MD, Jason L. Sperry, MPH, MD, Anne G. Rizzo, MS, MD, Eric J. Ley, MD, Karen J. Brasel, MPH, MD, Rosemary Kozar, MD, PhD, Kenji Inaba, MD, Jamie L. Hoffman-Rosenfeld, MD, David M. Notrica, MD, Lois W. Sayrs, PhD, Todd Nickoles, BSN, MBA, Robert W. Letton, Jr., MD, Richard A. Falcone, Jr., MD, Ian C. Mitchell, MD, and Matthew J. Martin, MD, Cincinnati, Ohio
- "Identifying Maltreatment in Infants and Young Children Presenting with Fractures: Does Age Matter?"
Ian C. Mitchell MD, Bradley J. Norat MD, Marc Auerbach MD, MSCI, Colleen J. Bressler MD, John J Como MD, MPH, Mauricio A. Escobar Jr. MD, Katherine T. Flynn-O'Brien MD, MPH, Daniel M. Lindberg MD, Todd Nickoles RN, MBA, Norell Rosado MD, Kerri Weeks MD, Sabine Maguire MBE, MBBCh
View Visual Abstract!
Listen to the podcast!
- VTE Guideline
Published in JTACS 2017
- Non Accidental Trauma - Renal Trauma
John Draus (lead), Jonathan Ellison, Judith Hagedorn, Robert Russell, Cordelie Witt, Kristen Zeller
EAST Collaborator: Nicole Fox
Submitted to J Trauma for blinded review and presented by Judith Hagedorn at EAST meeting
View Visual Abstract!
- Tourniquet Usage in Pediatric Trauma Patients (position statement)
Mubeen Jafri (lead), Aaron Cunnigham, Mark Cicero, Marc Auerbach
Future directions: being evaluated by ACS COT for possible endorsement, exploring collaboration with stop the bleed group
- Non Accidental Trauma (review article)
Mauricio A. Escobar; Katherine T. Flynn-O'Brien; Marc Auerbach; Gunjan Tiyyagura; Matthew A. Borgman; Susan J. Duffy; Kelly S. Falcone; Rita V. Burke; John M. Cox; Sabine A. Maguire
- Guidelines in Focus - Concussions
Byron D. Hughes MD, MPH, Nathaniel Kreykes, MD, Rosemary Nabaweesi, DrPH, Shannon Longshore, MD, Eric Sribnick, MD, John Petty, MD
(completed- cervical spine, femur fracture, blunt liver/spleen injury)
- Pediatric Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: Who Can Be Managed at a Non-pediatric Trauma Center Hospital? A Systematic Review of the Literature
Olivia A Keane, Mauricio A Escobar Jr, Lucas P Neff, Ian C Mitchell, Joshua J Chern, Matthew T Santore
- Massive Transfusion/Trauma Induced Coagulopathy: Adam Vogel (lead) (EAST collaborators: Bryce Robinson, Chris Dogion) | Timeline: publish early 2021
- BCVI: Lucas Neff (lead) | Timeline: publish early 2021
- C-Spine: Robert Finkelstein (lead) | Timeline: TBD, (Working group members: Karen Gibbs, Ramin Jamshidi, John Como, Kara Mitchell, Aaron Jensen, Melanie Stroud, Anna Thomas, Maura Ryan, Shobhan Vachhrajani)
- ED-Thoracotomy: Mubeen Jafri (lead) | In Collaboration with EAST and WTA. Timeline: TBD, , (Working group members: Claire Gerall, PTS, Grace Ng PTS, Katy Flynn-O'Brien PTS, Romeo Ignacio PTS, Rajan Thakkar PTS, Brian Yorkgitis EAST, Marie Crandall EAST, Jennifer Freeman EAST, Kaushik Mukherjee EAST, Matt Martin WTA)
- Pediatric Hangings and Drownings: Timeline: TBD, forming working groups
Hangings Lead: Katie Wiggins
Drowning Lead: TBD
- PTSD Screening: Julia Price (lead) | Timeline: TBD, forming working group
- Thoracic and Abdominal imaging: In collaboration with ACEP and EAST I Timeline: TBD