Guidelines Committee | Email Committee
The Guidelines Committee is responsible for developing and disseminating evidence-based information related to pediatric trauma care for the purpose of increasing the scientific knowledge needed to enhance patient care and promote optimal clinical decision-making. Goals of the committee include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops pediatric specific evidence-based guidelines or consensus statement.
- Reviews specific evidence-based guidelines for relevance to the pediatric population.
- Updates existing evidence-based guidelines based on new clinical information
- Disseminates evidence-based guidelines used by other institutions / organizations
Committee Goals: to develop and disseminate evidence-based information related to pediatric trauma care in order to improve health outcomes.
Five working groups
- Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis Guideline (LEAD: John Petty)
- Child Abuse/Non-Accidental Trauma Screening Guidelines (LEAD: Tony Escobar)
- Trauma Transfer Criteria from Community Hospitals to Level One Trauma Centers (LEAD: Matthew Santore)
- Severe Hemorrhage - Massive Transfusion/Coagulopathy Treatment Guideline (LEAD: Adam Vogel)
- Renal Injury Management Guideline (LEAD: John Draus)
Guidelines in Focus: work to identify guidelines developed by other organizations and share/contextualize for pediatric trauma providers.
Sharing of local clinical pathways/best practices.
- VTE Guideline
Published in JTACS 2017
- Tourniquet Usage in Pediatric Trauma Patients (position statement)
Mubeen Jafri (lead), Aaron Cunnigham, Mark Cicero, Marc Auerbach
Future directions: being evaluated by ACS COT for possible endorsement, exploring collaboration with stop the bleed group
- Non Accidental Trauma - Renal Trauma (review article)
John Draus (lead), Jonathan Ellison, Judith Hagedorn, Robert Russell, Cordelie Witt, Kristen Zeller
EAST Collaborator: Nicole Fox
Submitted to J Trauma for blinded review and presented by Judith Hagedorn at EAST meeting
- Guidelines in Focus - Concussions
Byron D. Hughes MD, MPH, Nathaniel Kreykes, MD, Rosemary Nabaweesi, DrPH, Shannon Longshore, MD, Eric Sribnick, MD, John Petty, MD
(completed- cervical spine, femur fracture, blunt liver/spleen injury)
- Trauma Transfer:
Matt Santore (lead), Katie Russell, Steve Fenton, Erik Pearson, Mubeen Jafri, Johnathan Kohler, Nathan Polite, Lucas Neff
EAST Collaborators: Dr. Como, TBD
PICO questions formulated, completed literature review
Timeline: by 11.2018 review papers and abstraction, present update at PTS meeting
- Massive Transfusion/Trauma Induced Coagulopathy:
Adam Vogel (lead), Ash Gosain, Robert Russell, Matthew Bogrman, Nathan Chirstopherson, Chris Streck, Regan Williams, Robert Finkelstein, Arash Maharjerin, Mark Collum, Karen Gibbs
EAST collaborators: Bryce Robinson, Chris Dogion
PICO questions have formulated, literature search completed
Timeline: complete abstract review 5/1/2018, complete paper review/abstraction 7/1/2018, review the evidence and formulate recommendations 9/1/2018, manuscript/presentation 11/2018
- Skeletal Fractures/Non-accidental Trauma:
Ian Mitchell (lead), Tony Esobar, Marc Auerbach, Todd Nickoles, Colleen Bressler, Katy Flynn O'Brien, Sabine Maguire, Brad Norat
EAST collaborators: Nicole Fox, TBD
Working on collaboration with Helfer, AAP, ACEP
Timeline: completed three scoping search, dissemination of papers 5/2018, collate results 10/2018, meet pre-PTS x 1 day for final in person formulation of recommendations.