Guidelines Committee | Email Committee
The Guidelines Committee is responsible for developing and disseminating evidence-based information related to pediatric trauma care for the purpose of increasing the scientific knowledge needed to enhance patient care and promote optimal clinical decision-making. Goals of the committee include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops pediatric specific evidence-based guidelines or consensus statement
- Reviews specific evidence-based guidelines for relevance to the pediatric population
- Updates existing evidence-based guidelines based on new clinical information
- Disseminates evidence-based guidelines used by other institutions/organizations
Committee Goals: to develop and disseminate evidence-based information related to pediatric trauma care in order to improve health outcomes.
Three working groups
- Child Abuse/Non-Accidental Trauma Screening Guidelines (LEAD: Tony Escobar)
- Trauma Transfer Criteria from Community Hospitals to Level One Trauma Centers (LEAD: Matthew Santore)
- Severe Hemorrhage - Massive Transfusion/Coagulopathy Treatment Guideline (LEAD: Adam Vogel)
Guidelines in Focus: work to identify guidelines developed by other organizations and share/contextualize for pediatric trauma providers.
Sharing of local clinical pathways/best practices.
- VTE Guideline
Published in JTACS 2017
- Non Accidental Trauma - Renal Trauma
John Draus (lead), Jonathan Ellison, Judith Hagedorn, Robert Russell, Cordelie Witt, Kristen Zeller
EAST Collaborator: Nicole Fox
Submitted to J Trauma for blinded review and presented by Judith Hagedorn at EAST meeting
View Visual Abstract!
- Tourniquet Usage in Pediatric Trauma Patients (position statement)
Mubeen Jafri (lead), Aaron Cunnigham, Mark Cicero, Marc Auerbach
Future directions: being evaluated by ACS COT for possible endorsement, exploring collaboration with stop the bleed group
- Non Accidental Trauma (review article)
Mauricio A. Escobar; Katherine T. Flynn-O'Brien; Marc Auerbach; Gunjan Tiyyagura; Matthew A. Borgman; Susan J. Duffy; Kelly S. Falcone; Rita V. Burke; John M. Cox; Sabine A. Maguire
- Guidelines in Focus - Concussions
Byron D. Hughes MD, MPH, Nathaniel Kreykes, MD, Rosemary Nabaweesi, DrPH, Shannon Longshore, MD, Eric Sribnick, MD, John Petty, MD
(completed- cervical spine, femur fracture, blunt liver/spleen injury)
- Trauma Transfer: Matt Santore (lead)
PICO questions formulated, completed literature review | Timeline: by 11.2018 review papers and abstraction, present update at PTS meeting
- Massive Transfusion/Trauma Induced Coagulopathy: Adam Vogel (lead) (EAST collaborators: Bryce Robinson, Chris Dogion)
PICO questions have formulated, literature search completed | Timeline: TBD
- Skeletal Fractures/Non-accidental Trauma: Ian Mitchell (lead) (Working on collaboration with EAST, Helfer, AAP, ACEP)